Thursday, May 29, 2008

Broken Arm

Temporary Cast Showing off his cast

Talmadge with a few silly faces

On May 17th Talmadge broke his arm while acting like a "tiger". He was crawling across the top of our loveseat and as he was climbing down to the arm he lost his balance and fell. At first we didn't know if he broke his arm or not since it wasn't obvious but he keep crying and his arm started to have red splotches. So just to be on the safe side, Cameron took him down to the Ogden Clinic. It did end up being broke. In fact he broke both his radius and ulna. One was broke completely across while the other was just slightly fractured. It was so small that I would have never noticed until the doctor pointed it out. Since Talmadge broke his arm on a Saturday they wanted him to go to an orthopedic surgeon to make sure there wasn't any possibly worse things going on with his arm. So for the weekend Talmadge had a temporary cast. We went to the surgeon on Monday and they didn't see anything out of the ordinary so they put a cast on him. While we were waiting, I asked Talmadge what color of cast he wanted since they had all the colors out on a board. He immediately said, "green". I wanted to make sure that was the color he wanted so I asked if he wanted blue or black. He told me, "no, green". So when the doctor's assistant came in to put the cast on he asked Talmadge what color he wanted. I prompted Talmadge to let him know what color cast he wanted and Talmadge said, "pink". Silly boy!! Cameron would have died and to tell you the truth, I would have been a bit embarrassed. So for now it looks like he will have it on for at least 4 weeks but no more than 6 as long as he heals well. Talmadge is doing really well with it. The first day you could tell it really hurt but now he moves around without any problems. You wouldn't know he had a broken arm if it weren't for the bright green cast. The same day that Talmadge broke his arm we found out that he had pink eye. We had to put drops in his eyes which he hated and probably made him feel more uncomfortable. Now he is also getting his 2 year molars so he has a runny nose and has been waking up every night in pain for the last week. This past week has been a bit hectic but now the broken arm is the least of our worries. He seems to be healing just fine. It is funny to listen to Talmadge tell other kids what happened to his arm because he points up his cast and tells them he broke his arm but the doctor made him feel better. It makes laugh because he is so serious and acts so grown up when he talks about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad Talmadge's arm is healing well. I like his green cast.

Love Mom

.:shannon:. said...

aaaahhh! he is SUCH a cute kid!! I miss him like crazy...at least the broken arm isn't slowin him down...it looks like it isn't anyway! you can tell him that his aunt shanni is in a cast too!! darn breakin bones!

Memmotts said...

aw! How scary for all of you. But i'm glad to see it will heel nice on it's own. He looks so cute with his little cast.

Shari said...

We are so glad Talmadge's arm is getting better. We can't wait to see you again.

.:sommersclan:. said...

Hey Tammy I noticed it had been awhile sinced you blogged anything, so I tagged you so that you have something to blog about:) I am glad that Talmadge got his cast off and is doing good. Although he really was cut to watch with his cast!

Jerry and Maaret said...

Glad to see you got green and not pink... haha, kids are so funny sometimes. Poor guy! He must have been so miserable. FYI- last time Maggie had pink eye they gave her an oral antibiotic (ammoxicilan) and it took care of it without having to use the eye drops- SO MUCH MORE PLEASANT!!! I will always ask for that instead of eye drops now... I never knew you could do that, but you CAN!! Anyhoo... have a nice week, I hope you're feeling alright with your little bun in the oven :)

Valeria said...

Hi there...I keep checking to see if you have any news, but nope...isnt't is time to blog something :-)

Love you all!
Valeria